Sunday, July 1, 2018

I believe:

...that students are more than their written history, more than a learning disability, more than a behavior.  Last semester, I learned about falling prey to the 'single story'.  With this knowledge, I vowed get to know the families more in depth of two particularly demanding students.  While I had read the family, school, and social histories of all of my then incoming students, I wanted to take the time to get to know more about two children whose family dynamics were truly heartbreaking.  Due to confidentiality concerns, I will not go into some of the horrific details.  However, in taking the time to get to know the parents and what their lives were like, I developed an understanding and deeper compassion for the children.  We are more than our past, we are all more than just the mistakes we make; we are a combination of life's joys and sorrows; mistakes and right choices; failures and triumphs.  It is so easy to judge a student by the comments of the child's previous teacher; it is so easy to judge the parent who sends a child to school wearing the same clothes, day, in and day out. I will make the time to get to know more about my students and their families, more than just what central administration deems important for a school record.



...that all students not only deserve an equal education but an EQUITABLE one as well!  As I continue on my journey working with ELL/EB young children, I will continue to research interventions that make success attainable for all my students.  I will provide supports that insure that not only my native speakers but my ELL/EB students have multiple exposures to the tools and supports that will allow them to reach and surpass their potential.



...that family/parent involvement and engagement is one of the keys to student success.  Last school year, I had 23 students, with 20 children that were with me the entire 2017-2018 school year.  

Every week, I would sent home a 'newsletter', detailing what we covered in literacy, math, journal/writing, science, and enrichment.  I would include a personalized note for each child. Of the 20 students that I had for the entire year, only three parents would engage in dialogue on a regular basis; in other words, 15% of my families were actively engaged with their child's teacher.  I had one student whose folder that would go home every day and whose work was never looked at.  I know this to be accurate because every month, I would clean out his folder.  Notices were not looked at, progress reports were not signed (or even taken out of the envelope); neither parent came to any requested conference or formal parent/teacher conference.  Not only did I reach out multiple times, I enlisted the help of social workers and administration.  The year ended with our kindergarten celebration and neither parent of this child attended.  Throughout the year, this child would light up whenever a success was noticed; my heart broke for him because, while my praise was welcomed and received well, I can only imagine how it would have impacted him if his PARENTS would have shown any interest in any part of this child's kindergarten year.  

Next year, I am in the process of developing my family engagement agenda.  In addition to formal conferences and meetings due to academic and/or behavior concerns, I am creating a calendar of opportunities for parents to visit my classroom, enjoy refreshments while being able to see their children's work and successes.  In addition, I will be inviting families to come read to the class in home languages, to share teaching of a letter, a number, or a tradition.  

I would love to have 100% parent involvement; however, I need to be realistic.  Coupled with not falling prey to the single story of my students and working towards more family engagement, I will continue to provide equitable opportunities for all my students to reach and surpass their potential.





Lesley....I think this belongs in the other blog!!! Ugh...can you show me how to get this entry into the Digital Media Blog....







2 comments:

  1. I too believe that one should not judge someone based on a single story or fact because it is not complete and not the only story. One has to remember that there are always more sides to a story/student than what one may experience. The link to the you tube video of "The Danger Of A Single Story" by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie really brought attention to the consequences/danger of a single story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Every week, I would sent home a 'newsletter', detailing what we covered in literacy, math, journal/writing, science, and enrichment. I would include a personalized note for each child. Of the 20 students that I had for the entire year, only three parents would engage in dialogue on a regular basis; in other words, 15% of my families were actively engaged with their child's teacher."

    WOW!!!! This immediately grabbed my attention! I aspire to have this level of parent contact but that must be so challenging to go out of your way to do that and have such a small level of response. It definitely seems discouraging at times. That's awesome how you're adapting as well and still trying to get parents involved.

    ReplyDelete